dazzaq07 Registered User
#1

Can someone tell me the percentages required for A1,A2 ETC?

Seachmall Registered User
#2

From what I understand it varies from course to course. Email one of your lecturers or your class rep, or post your course here and maybe someone will be able to help you out.

THEDUDEINWHITE Registered User
#3

It depends on the department and lecturer, an A1 can range anywhere from >75% or >91% etc.

DJCR Registered User
#4

THEDUDEINWHITE said:
It depends on the department and lecturer, an A1 can range anywhere from >75% or >91% etc.


While this is the common view.... UL actually has a standardised system Which is here http://www.berry.edu/academics/study/documents/Limerick_grading_scale.pdf

At the same time it does change slightly .... I repeat slightly from dept. to dept. but never buy more than 5% per grade.

Either way its best that you ask your lecturer.

Just to clarify..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURVE!!!! i.e. if UL can graduate all students with an A1 they will!!!

Blendage Registered User
#5

DJCR said:
While this is the common view.... UL actually has a standardised system Which is here http://www.berry.edu/academics/study/documents/Limerick_grading_scale.pdf

At the same time it does change slightly .... I repeat slightly from dept. to dept. but never buy more than 5% per grade.

Either way its best that you ask your lecturer.

Just to clarify..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURVE!!!! i.e. if UL can graduate all students with an A1 they will!!!


That scale does not specify or recommend a % for the grades, so an A1 could still vary between 75% to 91%. I have had modules where 25% was a D2 and other modules where 35% was a D2.

Gambra Registered User
#6

A1 First Honours - 4.00 75+%
A2 First Honours - 3.60 70-74%
B1 Honours 2.1 - 3.20 65-69%
B2 Honours 2.1 - 3.00 60-64%
B3 Honours 2.2 - 2.80 55-59%
C1 Honours 2.2 - 2.60 50-54%
C2 Third Honours - 2.40 45-49%
C3 Third Honours - 2.00 40-44%
D1 Compensating Fail - 1.60 35-39%
D2 Compensating Fail - 1.20 30-34%
F Fail 0.00 Less than 30% No credit awarded
NG No Grade 0.00 No credit awarded

That's the standard.. It reads Letter Grade - Grade Rank - QCA Value - Percentage Mark.

2 people have thanked this post
blinux Registered User
#7

I know this is totally off the point, but i want to move into college for the second semester of this year ie January. My number one choice is College Court. I went to the Accommadation Office, and they only really deal with on campus accommadation? Does anyone have any idea how i go about checking out off campus Accommadation. Thanks

slyph Registered User
#8

That can't be right !

75-70% for a first class honours, what a joke if it's true!

Seems too easy

DJCR Registered User
#9

slyph said:
That can't be right !

75-70% for a first class honours, what a joke if it's true!

Seems too easy


Try It

billy the squid Registered User
#10

The percentages I get, the whole QCA **** is over my head altogether.

EDIT: ah now I get it.

Mallox Registered User
#11

blinux said:
I know this is totally off the point, but i want to move into college for the second semester of this year ie January. My number one choice is College Court. I went to the Accommadation Office, and they only really deal with on campus accommadation? Does anyone have any idea how i go about checking out off campus Accommadation. Thanks

outside the accomodation office there is a notice board for accoodation which usually shows rooms for rent in elm park college court etc. or if you just walk around college court there are usually signs on windows of houses where rooms are available

john_cappa Registered User
#12

DJCR said:

Just to clarify..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURVE!!!! i.e. if UL can graduate all students with an A1 they will!!!


Do you think everyone getting an A1 is a good thing for the college? it is not.

There can be a curve at the discretion of the lecturer.

Though it nearly always works in the students favor. If the majority of the class done poorly then the marking seem may be "adjusted" in order to move everyone up a grade or more.

DJCR Registered User
#13

john_cappa said:
Do you think everyone getting an A1 is a good thing for the college? it is not.

There can be a curve at the discretion of the lecturer.

Though it nearly always works in the students favor. If the majority of the class done poorly then the marking seem may be "adjusted" in order to move everyone up a grade or more.


THere are many checks in Place....

lets take for example the BBS Degree because a) I did it and know it best
b) A lot of students do it.

THere are many checks in place in the is course to check that it is up to standard.

No. 1) It has EPAS accreditation which means all modules and the program have to be up to EPAS standard.

No. 2) It has to be ECTS compliant... this ensures there is parity across the EU so that a Degree in Business in Italy is the same as one here. It also makes it easier for students to do erasmus.

No. 3) External Examiners have to A) Read over the exam papers to make sure they are up to standard - If they feel that the exam paper is too hard they may say it to the lecturer who would change the exam or the marking scheme accordingly.

B) To make sure they have been corrected correctly and in a fair manner to all students.

Therefore if all students got A's with all thee checks in place I'm sure you would see advertisments for UL fly at high mast.

Also, how do you propose this lecturer implements said curve.... issues such as favourtism, race, gender may arise (Who gets higher grades... who doesn't... why)

As I said, if UL could graduate all students with a 1.1 they would ...... obviously they are not going to do it by lowering education levels and getting rid of excellence awards that they have gained.

john_cappa Registered User
#14

Yes in a perfect the world that is how it works.......... lol

Looking into the system is very much different than looking out. Curves do exist and as i said usually benefit all the students.

External examiners! big lol

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!