murphaph Registered User

bk said:
However do remember what Metro means, it is short for Metropolitan, as in Dublin Metropolitan Area, using the term for just one particular type of rail based public transport is actually a misrepresentation of the term. Using Metro as a term for all public transport options in a Metropolitan area is actually more accurate.

I don't think so. Metro is short for Metropolitan as in Metropolitan Railway Company (the first underground in the world).

It does convey a certain type of transport in its meaning in the vast bulk of cities in which it's used. LA is really an exception to the rule here. I would aim the system primarily at commuters...visitors will get a map and figure it out quite easily the way we do when we go to London etc.

bk Moderator

murphaph said:
LA is really an exception to the rule here.

Not Just LA, just off the top of my head:

- Washington
- NY MTA
- Montreal
- Minnesota
- Oklahoma City

hell even Belfast and they don't even have any rail based transport

Anyway I'm not stuck on the Metro name, but I do think it is the best. But I do want one brand for everything.

murphaph Registered User

bk said:
Not Just LA, just off the top of my head:

- Washington
- NY MTA
- Montreal
- Minnesota
- Oklahoma City

hell even Belfast and they don't even have any rail based transport

Anyway I'm not stuck on the Metro name, but I do think it is the best. But I do want one brand for everything.

The metro brand is only applied to some busses in Belfast and certainly not to their C3K (NIR) equivalent of the DART.

New York calls it's metro the "subway" btw, and all signage entering subway stations says "subway".

Craig Fay Registered User

Couldn't resist giving this a try

Orchard Rebel Registered User

Craig Fay said:
Couldn't resist giving this a try

Like the colour scheme but not sure if the Luas line 4 should go via Heston - it's a long way to west London.

carlmango11 Registered User

I'd personally prefer the Dublin Bus logo in different colours as the symbol for Dublin transport. I think it's much more graphic and logo-ish than the 3 castles. Not that it really matters

carlmango11 said:
I'd personally prefer the Dublin Bus logo in different colours as the symbol for Dublin transport. I think it's much more graphic and logo-ish than the 3 castles. Not that it really matters

But the Dublin Bus logo is their initials...would look silly for anything else

markpb Registered User

Craig Fay said:

The outline also forms a castle which is part if the city of Dublin logo.

markpb said:
The outline also forms a castle which is part if the city of Dublin logo.

I know that too I just meant it seems a bit confusing having db written on all brands of Dublin transport. Regardless of the castle bit, it's still obviously forms those two letters...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it :L

Yixian Registered User

Why not, like already suggested, a triquetra?

It's celtic, and the three pints could represent rail, luas and buses.

I did a mockup for the integrated ticketing smartcard with a triquetra:

It looks fantastic on the card, but not too sure it would work as a logo for this kind of thing. Personally, I think transport logos need to be more simple, almost plain...

Victor Registered User

bk said:
Of course we could call it (DTA) Dublin Transport Authority or (DMTA) Dublin Metropolitan Transport Authority (just like the NY MTA), but I think they are all just unnecessarily complicated.
And no doubt corrupted to MDMA.

Unlike some city where you get the "L" (elevated railway), it this case you would get an "E".

L1011 Registered User

Victor said:
And no doubt corrupted to MDMA.

MDMA (as a) state-sponsored (body).... don't mind if I do

carlmango11 Registered User

Craig Fay said:

I actually never noticed that before!

MJohnston Registered User

Craig Fay said:
I know that too I just meant it seems a bit confusing having db written on all brands of Dublin transport. Regardless of the castle bit, it's still obviously forms those two letters...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it :L

Actually, I noticed this and thought about explaining it, but essentially, I figured if you lived in the hypothetical world where this was going to happen, you could (possibly at a stretch) see the db logo as also spelling out the letters D.A.T.

As a designer, I'd obviously want to go in an alter the db logo somewhat to ensure that such stretches of the imagination don't have to happen, but for a quick mockup, it best suited the idea I was going for.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!