paul8f Registered User

Hi,

I'm relatively new to boards.ie. It's a good service, but I have to say that the pages take an age to load, regardless of what thread I'm in.

It's not my broadband connection, laptop or web browser. All other sites I visit (...including forums similar to boards.ie...) are fine.

What's going on?

Thanks.

seamus Dental Plan!

Today?

Doesn't seem that slow at all to me. What county are you in?

It goes through the odd patch, but it hasn't been exceptionally slow for a good while.

paul8f Registered User

I'm from Co Cork and have a 1Mb broadband connection with Eircom. The laptop is only a year old and never had any virus problems.

Using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (..version 7.0.6001.18000 to be exact..). Maybe it's a web browser add-on issue. But as far as I know I have the latest versions of Java, Flash, MSXML, Shockwave, MS Silverlight. I also have the latest updates for Vista and Norton Anti-virus.

Pages on boards take aprox 20 seconds to load (including hitting the Back arrow in the browser), whereas all other sites take about 4 seconds. It's been like this since I first joined boards.

...Just tried boards.ie on the older home PC (which has the same OS & browser as laptop), and it took on average 5 seconds to load pages !!

Why is the problem only my laptop, and why is it only when I view boards.ie on it that the problem happens?

Help...

paul8f Registered User

Up to now I was using Norton 360 (Internet security/Anti-virus) v1.0

I downloaded and installed Norton 360 v2.0 (didn't have to pay as it's a free upgrade).

Now boards.ie works fine. Forum pages take the usual 3 - 5 seconds per page load. The frustration is over . Must have been a registry or cache problem.

seamus Dental Plan!

Indeed, pages on boards can be quite heavy in terms of links and scripts and the like. If the Norton AV engine was inefficient, it may have taken it a while to scan all of the various objects on a page before it could be rendered.

Useful to know

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!