DoesNotCompute Registered User
#1

In my workplace, there's a chap with a Sky box in his office, that is connected to a satellite on the roof. He's getting the dreaded "No Satellite Signal Being Received" on some channels, such as RTE One, RTE Two, TG4, etc, but he is getting channels such as Sky News and CNN.

I've consulted Sky's website (http://business.sky.com/czone_technical_qa.asp), and i've tried their suggestions. I've done a LNB Reset, and I've confirmed that all connections are secure. I suspect the dish is out of alignment. Does anyone know whether RTE One, etc are aligned vertically or horizontally?

The dish is up on the roof of the premises, so it's not easily accessible. Does anyone have any suggestions short of getting a technician to come and have a look?


Many thanks

dnc

scary Registered User
#2

unplug it for 10 seconds and reconnect. that should do it.

DoesNotCompute Registered User
#3

Unplugged the Sky box for about 30 seconds, and plugged it back in again. Still only getting some channels.

scary Registered User
#4

have you ever recieved the irish channels?

biologikal Awaiting Email Confirmation
#5

Horizontal polarity.

Film 4 and Film 4 +1 are on the same transponder - are you getting them?

If not, dish may need a tweek. Some of the more weaker channels on 28.2E from my experience are Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror (all horizontal BTW). If those 3 are coming in, then your dish is probably aligned ok.

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

corkproducers Closed Account
#6

I have the exact opposite of this problem lately!

Im getting the Irish channels grand, but Sky One,Two, Three,
Sky Sports wont work.

SKy news is working fine however.

The UKtv channels work grand, Paramount Bravo etc... fine, just the sky ones are causing the No satelite Signal message to come up.

I checked the Signal Strength, and its constantly on 3/4s like it has being since we ever bought the box.

Weather conditions are perfect down here, its never really caused a problem before.

I tried removing the card, unplugging it for a while and plugging it back in, but still have the same problem.

It seems to work when it wants to and is progressively getting more frequent.

It tends to go pixelated and glitchy before it does this.

Is my box on the way out do ye think?

We've had it quite a while now, oh and throughout the years the odd time, the Screen would start flickering, including the search and scan banner, which was solved by unplugging the box and plugging it back in, it happened very rarely but still happened.

Sam Radford Registered User
#7

Test the dish system with a different Digibox. This is always the first (and easiest) thing to do when you are uncertain what is causing the problem.

Cuchulain Registered User
#8

biologikal said:
Horizontal polarity.

Film 4 and Film 4 +1 are on the same transponder - are you getting them?

If not, dish may need a tweek. Some of the more weaker channels on 28.2E from my experience are Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror (all horizontal BTW). If those 3 are coming in, then your dish is probably aligned ok.

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php



Ah that makes sense, my fathers Sky was getting terrible break up on RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TNAG, Film24, Movies4Men, and Zone Horror. I couldnt understand why all other channels were coming in fine. I eventually put a sat meter on the LNB and everything came back fine.

corkproducers Closed Account
#9

Forgot to check back to this thread.

Sky man came today, showed him the problem, so he replaced the LNB on the dish saying that it was probably gone.

When we turned the box on there was a increase in signal strenghth & quality.
THe channels were working fine again.
He then did a firmware upgrade, by tunring off the power, and holding the backup button for 15 seconds after he plugged it back in.

That took about 10 mins. Anyways when i turned it back on after the upgrade i got the No satelite signal being recieved on the Customer channel and sky one, ran out and called him just before he headed.

It came back on by time he came back in, so anyways in the end he put in a new box, and the signal strenghth improved yet again. is almost full on both bars now, havent had a problem with the sky channels yet.

Long story short, it was the box that was the problem id say.

anxie Registered User
#10


Hi all.

I setup an old non HD/Plus box in my bedroom and wired up the room via a free port on the dish.
After many checks on my cabling the long long story shortened is...

I kept getting the 'no satellite signal...'

In an act of desperation I changed TV connected to the box and lo and behold it worked fine, good signal and all stations working fine.
I thought I was going nuts, so I did some other checks and the summary now is:

a . using 2 different Sky boxes and 2 different small CRT screens I always get "no satellite signal..."

b. If I switch to a LCD screen with either box, all is OK
c. If i connect the CRT again and connect the LCD via the second scart connector, the signal is OK and I can view stations on both screens.

d. I have the same problem with my other Sky connection when I connect my CRT to it. (I just never noticed this as it always had the LCD connected to it).

Is it possible that there is some interference from the CRT's, or some bad cabling that I have laid that causes this?

anxie

fat-tony Registered User
#11

I can't help you - very strange problem, but some of the more experienced hands on the forum may have come across this before. What I would suggest is that you delete your post and start a new thread as this one is over two years old and has probably no relation to your issue.

Tony Registered User
#12

Are you using a scart or an RF cable to connect from the box to the tv ?


anxie said:

Hi all.

I setup an old non HD/Plus box in my bedroom and wired up the room via a free port on the dish.
After many checks on my cabling the long long story shortened is...

I kept getting the 'no satellite signal...'

In an act of desperation I changed TV connected to the box and lo and behold it worked fine, good signal and all stations working fine.
I thought I was going nuts, so I did some other checks and the summary now is:

a . using 2 different Sky boxes and 2 different small CRT screens I always get "no satellite signal..."

b. If I switch to a LCD screen with either box, all is OK
c. If i connect the CRT again and connect the LCD via the second scart connector, the signal is OK and I can view stations on both screens.

d. I have the same problem with my other Sky connection when I connect my CRT to it. (I just never noticed this as it always had the LCD connected to it).

Is it possible that there is some interference from the CRT's, or some bad cabling that I have laid that causes this?

anxie

kbell Registered User
#13

Are you sure its just not a dodgy connection at the "f" connector and just by chance with the fiddling around with different tv's, it's causing an intermittent signal loss?
Have you wired the room directly from dish to box, or it is going to a wallplate first before it hits the box?

anxie Registered User
#14

Hi folks, thank you for the replies. apologies for not moving to a new thread before the kind responses appeared.

To answer the questions:


Tony said:
Are you using a scart or an RF cable to connect from the box to the tv ?


Scarts for both TV's Tony.

I am going from dish to box with one joint using 2 fconnectors, no wall plate.
(plus Fconnector at the end of the line to the sky box obviously)

kbell said:
Are you sure its just not a dodgy connection at the "f" connector and just by chance...


Although I made the connections myself, I don't think that it is signal loss due to temorarily broken connection, because as mentioned earlier if I connect two TVs it works, if I remove the scart from the LCD TV it drops instantly on the CRT and comes back instantly upon reconnection of the LCD

Thank you very much for the response guys.

watty Registered User
#15

you have a bad earth/screen connection.

RF will pass a "crack", corrosion, bad connection or disconnection in coax outer. The 22kHz and DC to LNB needs a good connection. It must be getting it via one of the TVs when you connect SCART?

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!