kiffer Registered User

It's the least of your worries then...

It's not now nor ever has been a volcano of any type so we can't call it 'extinct' as it was never 'active'...
So Exon that means it's not extinct! You'd better panic...

r3nu4l Administrator

PaintDoctor said:
If I remember my primary school Geography, it's Ireland's only extinct Volcano.

It's a great question and the thread has given some brilliant answers. Interestingly, I distinctly remember our primary school teacher telling us that the Sugarloaf in Wicklow was an extinct volcano...goes to show you the quality of my primary school education

1 person has thanked this post
Azelfafage Registered User

There are loads of Sugarloaf mountains.

There are two in Wicklow alone.

For three centuries sugar was imported into Europe as pyramidal "sugar loaves".

The mountain shape was named after them.

As in Rio.

testicle Closed Account

Azelfafage said:
There are two in Wicklow alone.

There are 3 in Wicklow alone. The two by Bray, and the third is in the Glen of Imaal.

20goto10 Registered User

r3nu4l said:
It's a great question and the thread has given some brilliant answers. Interestingly, I distinctly remember our primary school teacher telling us that the Sugarloaf in Wicklow was an extinct volcano...goes to show you the quality of my primary school education

I was told its a dormant volcano!!

tadhgor Registered User

As someone who grew up in Bray, my whole world has been turned up side down. I have to question everything now, including anything else my 2nd class teacher taught me.
Is the river Dargle still the longest river in Ireland?

El Siglo Moderator

Hot Dog said:
The sugar loaf is actually Cambrian quartzite, same as bray head ans howth. It is not granite, it is not a volcano. It is also folded, giving it a strange shape. The Cambrian quartzites are older than the wicklow granites which are Ordovician in age.

A carboniferous volcano is Croghan hill in the midlands, or up north past the border.

How do we go about setting up a Geology subforum?

I've been trying to set up and Environmental and Earth Sciences sub-forum for the last while. I know it's not strictly 'Geology', but I can't see why this kind of discussion couldn't be accommodated for. I've found this thread very interesting and it again highlights the need for an Earth Sciences type sub-forum.

rccaulfield Registered User

Great info in this one-Thanks all- I'll never look at lambay the same way again!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!